Thursday, April 5, 2012

A New Space-Noir Adventure

As one storyline comes to an epic conclusion (some involving my character plowing into the ground like a freaking meteor thanks to a crappy die-roll), another begins.  I'm back to the forefront as the Gamemaster, and we're headed into the realm I'm most comfortable in - Science Fantasy.  This time around, I'm blending an old sci-fi world I created a long time ago with the many alien races and cool gadgets from the video game series "Mass Effect".  My weapon of choice: D20 Modern/Future, my favorite and, in my opinion, most versatile of all the systems.  Sure it's not as in-depth as GURPS, but why should I have 30 different skills if I only ever roll one or two of them - ever?  Simplicity is key for my style of fast-pace action storytelling, and I don't like to be bogged down with rules while I'm trying to blow things up- ...I mean, tell a story.  And I enjoy the fact that the system utilizes all of the various dice in my arsenal.  Now, let's meet the cast...

  • The Soldier:  The only human in the group.  Very tough, enhanced with cybernetic implants, and crazy.  No, really, he's freaking bat-shit insane.  This is not the kind of guy you should give a gun to, and he's got like six of them.  Oh, and he's also the leader of the group, so this should give a good indication as to what direction the team will go.  (I'm thinking somewhere in the world, Michael Bay is smiling...)
  • The Technical Engineer:  A native of the forest moon of Ganymede (a mix of a humanoid dog/monkey creature with a prehensile tail, kangaroo-like ears and a horse's mane).  Yes, this does make him a "Grease Monkey".
  • The Mercenary:  A Krogen with the unique talent of completely losing his shit and going all Incredible Hulk on you if you piss him off.  The down-side is damn near everything pisses him off.  Your shirt pisses him off.  He's going to rip it off you, fill it with rocks, and beat you to death with it to the tune of "I'm So Pretty" just so he can damage your soul too. 
  • The Pilot:  A Cattan (cat-like humanoid), and the best damn pilot in the Terminus System.  Fast, strong, the reflexes and agility of a cat - and the attention span of one.  Oh, look, shiny!  And she pounces! 
  • The Spy:  It might be a little cliche for a telepath to enlist her services as a spy - but can you think of anyone better qualified?  She's also a gifted telekinetic, so when diplomacy fails she can clear a hallway a-la Force Unleashed and go all "Angry-Sith-Lord" on your ass.
  • The Hacker:  It's the future, so everything is run by advanced computers.  What's more dangerous than a talented computer hacker?  How about a Quarian computer hacker with an Omni-Tool, capable of hacking sophisticated artificial intelligence.  He's like "Eagle Eye", but less predictable and with fewer plot holes.

Characters are set.  Storyline ready.  First adventure planned.  Tomorrow, we kick some ass...

No comments:

Post a Comment